Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Why are ett[] arrays static?

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 13:40:19 -0400

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 11:59 AM Dario Lombardo <lomato@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 4:52 PM Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It seems to me that making it static is just wasting space (keeping the array around forever)?

Interesting point, Jeff! Do you expect enough memory save that is worth of a massive change?

A simple `grep` tells me there are about 40k ett variables.  Storing 64-bit pointers to all of them that would be about ~300k of space.  Some ett[] arrays aren't currently static so the actual number should be somewhat lower than that.