Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] USB Link Layer dissector integration

From: "Darien Spencer" <cusneud@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2018 19:51:53 +0200
Hi Maciej,

I think I understand your problem since I noticed something similiar with the USB dissector. Correct me if it's a different issue.
I was working on the AT dissector (runs over USB URB) and I noticed that sometimes the traffic is split over several frames.
When I looked further I realised the USB dissector doesn't (and maybe can't?) reassemble those packets in it's current state.
So the result was different parts of the AT packets where handled to the AT dissetor as a complete AT payload, which is incorrect.

I'm not that familiar with the protocols used for USB transfer and the USB URB dissector but as much as I understand the
protocol seems to work in a 'stream-oriented' way, kind of like TCP.

If that's the case, the kind of reassembly mechanism used in the TCP dissector might fit for USB as well.

Anyone else in the group knows enough about the USB dissector to confirm?

-- Darien