Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Pointers needed for building Wireshark 2.6.3 on a Raspberry

From: "Geoff Lee" <geoff.lee99@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 14:21:25 +1000
Posting this to report success !!!!

The `ninja -j1` suggestion made the difference.  While it ran visibly slower than the simple `ninja` command which defaults to parallel builds, `ninja -j1` just kept working away steadily and finished all the remaining 294 steps without any hesitation.  I now have wireshark 2.6.4, successfully compiled on my Raspberry Pi for an armv7 processor.

In a separate build directory (and running at a separate time, ie not in competition with this build) I managed to compile `tshark` and `dumpcap` (and one or two of the other command line utilities, but explicitly excluding gui components like wireshark) using `ninja` parallel builds with only one "internal compile error" failure along the way.

I did look into submitting a bug report about the "internal compiler error", but the instructions are very firm (and rightly so) about including a minimal reproducible example of code which causes the error, about checking that it still occurs in the latest version of the compiler, and about making sure it is not a hardware issue.  My most recent experience suggests the problem happens only when ninja is using multiple cores, so reproducing the error reliably could be quite challenging; moreover it is not impossible that my CPU itself is not part of the problem (for eg this is quite possibly the most intensive and sustained work it has ever done, so maybe it is overheating or something ???).  So for now I call time while I'm ahead, and say a final heartfelt

THANK YOU

for your help

Regards

Geoff