Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Can a Lua dissector access Wireshark preferences?

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 13:39:11 -0400
For the preference side of it see:

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 12:43 PM Maynard, Chris <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxx> wrote:

If you look at the documentation for ProtoField.new and friends[1], you can see that there’s a “mask” argument.  That specifies how many bits applies to this field.

So for example, below there are 2 fields, field1 is the upper nibble of a byte, field2 is the lower nibble of a byte:

local foo_field1 = ProtoField.uint8("foo.field1", "Field1", base.DEC, nil, 0xf0)

local foo_field2 = ProtoField.uint8("foo.field2", "Field2", base.DEC, nil, 0x0f)

- Chris

[1]: https://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/lua_module_Proto.html#lua_class_ProtoField