Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Announcing: A Wireshark Dissector Generator

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2018 14:19:57 -0700
On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 2:10 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Aug 6, 2018, at 7:54 AM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Since about last November I have been developing a Wireshark Dissector
>> Generator.
>
> How does its description language compare to that of
>
>         http://wsgd.free.fr
>
> in its capabilities?

That's a good question.

Here is what the wsgd site says:

- basic types (integers, float, string ...)

I have most of these

- transform options (quantum, expression) to compute a value from the packet one

Don't have these.

- display options (hex, oct, bin, printf format, expression)

Don't have these but I need something like that.

- constaint specification (min and max values) to detect errors in
data (red line)

Don't have these.

- Array (fixed or variable size)

Have these ...

- Enum

Have these ...

- Bit field

Have these ...

- Structure

Have these ...

- Conditions and loops (if, while, do while, ...)

Have these in the form of switch statements and array bounds (that is,
and array bound can be a do while type of thing.)

- Switch case

Have these ...

- Functions

Don't have these but am thinking of them in the form of annotations.

- Global data

Don't have these ...

- subproto data

Don't know.