Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] extcap command line parameter format

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 14:01:46 -0700
On Jul 23, 2018, at 11:37 AM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Jul 20, 2018, at 10:12 AM, Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> If so this could require changes across the board, changes to documentation (docbook, man page) in the least.
>
> Yes.

docbook/wsdg_src/WSDG_chapter_capture.asciidoc fixed in change https://code.wireshark.org/review/28864.

No man page I could find mentions the optional argument to --extcap-version.

No help message I could find does so, either.

Third-party extcap programs will have to change if 1) they don't happen to support --extcap-version=XXX already and 2) they are to work with the not-yet-released Wireshark 3.0.  Note that if they're using getopt_long(), they will *automatically* support it; the GNU libc version of getopt_long(), the *BSD/macOS version of getopt_long(), and the Solaris version of getopt_long() all support --longopt=value, and on Windows and other UN*Xes, which don't have getopt_long(), the extcap program will use the GNU libc version that we supply.  Note, BTW, that if they don't support *either* --extcap-version=XXX *or* --extcap-version XXX, they'll also have to change, no matter whether we use =XXX or " XXX"....

So what *else* needs to change?