Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Retrieving dissection result from another dissector

From: Anders Broman <a.broman58@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2018 13:34:54 -0700

Den tis 3 juli 2018 21:28Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> skrev:
On Jul 3, 2018, at 12:01 PM, Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As the scope is an explicit argument, I find it quite clear what's going on already.

As the two functions are quite different in intent, I find it not entirely clear, merely from the scope, what's going on.

> Personally I do not think a new function is required (the add/get/remove being what they mean), and they are here since a long time so it would change existing habits.

I'd like to change habits so that people think of "persistent per-packet data" and "per-dissection data" very differently.

I think I crated the original function and I think it has been misused and agree with Guy on this one. The key argument was meant to be the protocol level so that a protocol that got called several times in a packet could retrieve the right data, nothing else.