Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Dealing with aggregated packets

From: Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2018 09:44:53 +0200
This discussion was also voiced by Evan Huus back in 2015. For some reason, I cannot find the original email, but here is the gist of it:

> I've been thinking about this and trying to come up with a way to gracefully (and backwards-compatibly) add this
> information to our existing data-structures, and I'm currently thinking of just adding it as a flag to the field_info
> struct (i.e. defining something like FI_STARTS_NEW_RECORD). As far as I've been able to determine, these
> flag values are accessible everywhere we need them to be (specifically: in the UI and in the display-filter engine),
> and it makes creating new records backwards-compatible and cheap (just some new macro to set the flag).
> My only concern right now is how difficult it will actually be to check this value in the display filter logic - I don't know
> nearly enough about the dfvm to know if checking for fields in the same "record" is easy or not with the info stored this way.

Some part of this discussion can be found at: https://www.wireshark.org/lists//wireshark-dev/201508/msg00090.html

It has been discussed over the years, and always boils down to the following issues:

- Packet Dissector addition to determine, where the sub-packets / records start
- display filter logic on how to filter correctly
- visual representation

For performance sake, we could leave the display filters as they are, and handle the splitting part purely in the visual representation. Display filters would not to be changed at all, except if a user specifically wants to filter for the n-th sub-packet. But the question would be, how to determine in the visual representation, which packets to be displayed and which would not be displayed, and on that part we would need a matching field index and some kind of correlation of matching that field to a sub-record.

So for instance, if I know, the display filter matched because of the n-th occurence of a field, and that field belongs to sub-record y, I can hide all other sub-records.

On caveat though whould be display filters, which match BECAUSE there are multiple fields in a packet which belong to different sub-records. That would be an issue.

For visual representation I would go with sub-numbers for each record for display only. It makes it somewhat easier to read in my book, but that is not a necessity.

cheers
Roland

Am Di., 3. Juli 2018 um 08:42 Uhr schrieb Jakub Zawadzki <darkjames-ws@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hello,

W dniu 2018-07-02 22:33, Jeff Morriss napisał(a):
> It's an idea that's been tossed around since at least 2006[1].  Someone
> (Jakub?) had played around with it but eventually gave up;
> unfortunately I
> can't find the reference to that.

It seems I did one in 2012,
https://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/201208/msg00200.html

patchset: https://www.wireshark.org/~darkjames/multicols/
screenshot: https://www.wireshark.org/~darkjames/protocolstack.png

looking in 0004 patch, the idea was that every protocol, (or PDU) would
call pinfo->cinfo = add_new_column_set(pinfo, TRUE);

which would create new (sub)row in column list.

> [1] https://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/200606/msg00147.html
>
> I think the UI presentation is one thing but the next (and equally
> important IMO) thing is how the filtering will work.

I am no longer reviewing changes actively, but as far as I know we don't
have filtering for columns? Do we?

Jakub.