Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark User's Guide comment/suggestion

From: "R. Martindale" <RMartindale@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 14:51:56 +0000

While reviewing what I presume to be the current Wireshark User’s Guide (https://wireshark.org/docs/wsug_html_chunked/index.html), I was unable to find any mention of the version of Wireshark to which the guide applies.  Some of the screenshots in the guide differ from what I am seeing on my screen when I run Wireshark under Raspbian GNU/Linux ver 9 (stretch).

I respectfully suggest that the Forward of the user’s guide (Preface, Section 1) should identify the Wireshark version for which the guide was targeted and from which the various screenshots were captured.

The way in which obsolete content seems to live forever on the internet makes finding useful information all the more difficult when its applicability or effectivity is not cleared stated.  I frequently find tutorials, how-tos, and other information which at first glance seems useful, but which turns out to do more harm than good because it applies to a particular configuration that is not clearly identified and which differs from what I am using.

Thanks for your work on Wireshark and for giving this suggestion some consideration.