Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Switch to C++11 or C++14

Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2018 15:04:14 -0400
Hope no one minds a little unsolicited input.

Moving to c++ or at least supporting c++ module builds during main build could greatly improve data serialization and deserialization by using Google Protocol Buffers (protobuf). For example, I have a custom tshark build that uses protobuf to serialize data from epan dissect tree, export data from tshark, and then unserialize detailed dissection tree data in another application.

I had earlier versions of similar code that used pdml or my own binary serialization routines to export detailed dissection data. The protobuf version is by far the best approach in terms of speed and memory. It’s a LOT better!

I’ve been thinking about incorporating into dissection process but haven’t had cycles. Not a small job.

Sent from my iPhone