Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] assertion failed: (init_process_policies_called)

From: Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 16:48:30 +0200
On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 04:16:22PM +0200, Peter Wu wrote:

> > I was unsuccessful attempting this with a recent 2.6.0 build on a RHEL7 system as I was unable to get past this error once WIRESHARK_DATA_DIR was set:
> > ERROR:privileges.c:153:started_with_special_privs: assertion failed: (init_process_policies_called)
> >
> > … which I find odd because tshark was running from the build directory as a normal user, and anyway, tshark is only reading a file, not capturing, so why should it care about special privileges anyway?
>
> This is unrelated to the original issue, but it appears that something
> is testing whether you are allowed to use that environment variable, but
> it happens before "init_process_policies" is called.

And this actually happens in the extcap programs when "data_file_url" is
called to obtain the help page. Stack trace:

    started_with_special_privs () at wsutil/privileges.c:153
    get_datafile_dir () at wsutil/filesystem.c:841
    data_file_url (filename="randpktdump.html") at wsutil/filesystem.c:2178
    main (argc=3, argv=0x7fffffffe118) at extcap/randpktdump.c:139

Patches welcome I guess.
--
Kind regards,
Peter Wu