Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wpa test failure

From: Dario Lombardo <lomato@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 16:17:29 +0200

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 5:09 PM, Maynard, Christopher <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Is there a problem with the environment perhaps?

On Windows, I needed to set WIRESHARK_APPDATA to the location of the 80211_keys file in order for this to work.

Maybe HOME isn’t enough?  Do you have to set WIRESHARK_DATA_DIR and/or WIRESHARK_RUN_FROM_BUILD_DIRECTORY?  I was unsuccessful attempting this with a recent 2.6.0 build on a RHEL7 system as I was unable to get past this error once WIRESHARK_DATA_DIR was set:

ERROR:privileges.c:153:started_with_special_privs: assertion failed: (init_process_policies_called)

… which I find odd because tshark was running from the build directory as a normal user, and anyway, tshark is only reading a file, not capturing, so why should it care about special privileges anyway?

What looks strange is that on ubuntu 16.04 it works well. That means that the environment should be properly set. I can't figure out what changed between those 2 versions...