Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark.pdb for Wireshark 2.6 are not loaded

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 12:28:00 +0100

On Thu, 17 May 2018 at 11:52, Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

While trying to debug a crash dump from Wireshark 2.6.0, I ran into the
following error:

    Wireshark.pdb could not be found in the selected paths

Steps to reproduce:

1. Install https://www.wireshark.org/download/win64/Wireshark-win64-2.6.0.exe
2. Extract https://www.wireshark.org/download/win64/all-versions/Wireshark-pdb-win64-2.6.0.zip
3. Trigger crash in Wireshark, e.g. Tools -> Lua -> Evaluate. Execute:
   local ba = ByteArray.new(""); getmetatable(ba).__gc(ba)
4. Debug Program, attach Visual Studio 2015 and select the previously
   extracted Wireshark.pdb file.

Expected result:
Wireshark.pdb is loaded successfully.

Actual result:
selected paths". Note that symbols for "libwireshark.dll" can be loaded,
it is just "Wireshark.exe" that fails.

What can I do to load the symbols anyway? Is there something in the
packaging steps that has to be changed?
--
Kind regards,
Peter Wu

I'm really pushed for time so can't give you much help, but in case of symbol issues I find WinDbg much more helpful as it has a command "!sym noisy" that makes the symbol loader emit lots of info.

--
Graham Bloice