Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Building Wireshark 1.8 with varargs

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 09:54:14 -0700
On May 16, 2018, at 1:46 AM, Ridwan Shariffdeen <rshariffdeen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I want to build Wireshark 1.8.1 from the source-code, but I get an error on gcc stating "#error "Please use <stdarg.h> instead of <varargs.h>"
> Is there some way to maneuver through this?

Yes.

First, make sure your system has a stdarg.h header.  (stdarg.h first appeared in C89, so only a system with a *VERY* out-of-date C compilation environment wouldn't have one.)

Then:

	if you configured by running the configure script:

		do "make distclean";

		re-run the configure script, and capture its output into a file, e.g. "./configure 2>&1 | tee config.out" for a Bourne-compatible shell;

		check the configure output file to make sure the configure script found stdarg.h;

		if not, look in the config.log file to see *why* it didn't find stdarg.h, and fix that problem;

	if you configured by using CMake:

		remove the build directory in which you ran CMake;

		re-run CMake, and capture its output into a file

		check the configure output file to make sure CMake found stdarg.h;

		if not, look in what error file CMake also generated to see *why* it didn't find stdarg.h, and fix that problem.