Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wpa test failure

From: "Maynard, Christopher" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 15:09:28 +0000

Is there a problem with the environment perhaps?

On Windows, I needed to set WIRESHARK_APPDATA to the location of the 80211_keys file in order for this to work.

Maybe HOME isn’t enough?  Do you have to set WIRESHARK_DATA_DIR and/or WIRESHARK_RUN_FROM_BUILD_DIRECTORY?  I was unsuccessful attempting this with a recent 2.6.0 build on a RHEL7 system as I was unable to get past this error once WIRESHARK_DATA_DIR was set:

ERROR:privileges.c:153:started_with_special_privs: assertion failed: (init_process_policies_called)

… which I find odd because tshark was running from the build directory as a normal user, and anyway, tshark is only reading a file, not capturing, so why should it care about special privileges anyway?

- Chris