Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] libpcap min version for Wireshark 3.0?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2018 10:05:52 -0700
On Apr 26, 2018, at 7:56 AM, Anders Broman <a.broman58@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If I remember correctly the discussion was regarding some arkaic version (0.9.x) used on SuSE 11. For which we did some changes in autotools. Not sure if we do for cmake. Just thought we could request something with the same time line in the distributions as the other restrictions we impose like glib 2.32.

If we require libpcap 1.0 and later, we can rely on pcap_create() existing, which would let us simplify some code.  However, if SuSE 11 still provides an 0.9 release, that'd mean we wouldn't allow building on SuSE 11.

I'm not sure whether being able to assume the availability of other routines as a result of requiring a later release would be worth it.