Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Overriding a builtin dissector

From: Jason Cohen <kryojenik2@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 10:40:50 -0500
I've already asked some of this privately, but submitting to the full list for archival as well.

Is there a way or any thoughts of being able to override an existing, built-in dissector?

The specific case in point being the f5ethtrailer dissector recently was included as a built-in.  Would it be possible to offer a plugin that "replaced" the existing dissector to support the new formats?  What is Wiresharks policy on submitted updates to protocol dissectors?  Would changes go out in the next minor / maint release, or would they have to wait for a major relase?

Jason