Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Error loading plugin

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2018 15:58:10 +0200
Hi Juanjo,

Hi all,

I am developing a plugin. It works for me but when I try to give it to other developers, some of them get the following error:

I am using VS2012 in Windows 64 bits and I have asked one of the developers to try installing the redistributable for that version and still failing.

I have tried searching in the code but I can't find anything that leads me to a solution. Any thoughts?

Just some blind guesses based on my past experience:
- have you built the plugin against the source code of Wireshark 2.4.X? Wireshark does not ensure (understand systematically breaks in practice) the API between major releases so a plugin built for Wireshark 2.5.1 cannot work with Wireshark 2.4.5
- are they running a Wireshark version matching the architecture (x86 vs x64) used to build the plugin (but if I remember correctly the error differs in that case)?
- Wireshark 2.4.x official installers use MSVC2015, not 2012. Could you build the plugin using MSVC2015 Community Edition and check whether it works fine?

Regards,
Pascal.