Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] /Qspectre

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 18:58:27 +0000

For Win32/64 developers, the Wireshark Developer’s Guide currently mentions “Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition” as the compiler to download and install[1].  That is the version I’m currently running.  Here are the relevant details:

    Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015

    Version 14.0.25431.01 Update 3

    Microsoft .NET Framework

    Version 4.7.02046

    Installed Version: Community

    Visual C++ 2015   00322-20000-00000-AA898

    Microsoft Visual C++ 2015

When compiling Wireshark with this version of MSVC, it seems that /Qspectre is not yet supported and so at last count, 312 warnings were generated, most (all?) of the form, “cl : Command line warning D9002: ignoring unknown option '/Qspectre'”.

Microsoft’s “Spectre mitigations in MSVC” page[2] indicates the following:

We initially plan to include support for /Qspectre in the following:

·         Visual Studio 2017 version 15.6 Preview 4

·         An upcoming servicing update to Visual Studio 2017 version 15.5

·         A servicing update to Visual Studio 2017 “RTW”

·         A servicing update to Visual Studio 2015 Update 3

I don’t know whether the Community Edition of Visual Studio 2015 is included in the planned servicing update or not, but I would expect it to be.  In any case, it seems that it’s not yet available, even if it is planned.

Maybe there’s a way to detect whether /Qspectre is supported by the compiler or not and omit it if it isn’t in order to avoid all of these warnings?

- Chris

[1]: https://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSetupWin32.html

[2]: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2018/01/15/spectre-mitigations-in-msvc/

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is the property of International Game Technology PLC and/or its subsidiaries and may contain proprietary, confidential or trade secret information.  This message is intended solely for the use of the addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient and have received this message in error, please delete this message from your system. Any unauthorized reading, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.