Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] allocator->in_scope

From: Paul Offord <Paul.Offord@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 16:19:47 +0000

Aha – whilst what I’ve written below is true, it doesn’t accurately reflect the issue.

If I start Wireshark and double click on a file in the recently opened list, part of the processing is this:

  cf_open() calls

    ws_epan_new() calls

      epan_new() calls

        init_dissection() calls

          wmem_enter_file_scope() which sets

            file_scope->in_scope = TRUE;

All of the above takes place before my new block reader is called.

If I start Wireshark, use Ctl-O and then double click on a file in the file explorer dialogue, there is no call to wmem_enter_file_scope() before my block reader is called.

I believe this is a bug.  The two file opens should be consistent in the setting of file_scope->in_scope = TRUE, and hence the scope of wmem_file_scope().

  • Am I wrong?
  • Have I missed something?
  • Should I create a bug report?

Thanks and regards…Paul