Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] utf8 support on http dissectors

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 10:00:39 -0700
On Mar 19, 2018, at 4:53 AM, Roberto Ayuso <roberto.ayuso@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Really I mean two fields http.file_data and http,request_uri, both can have non ascii chars but are treated only as ascii on the source code.
>
> Cannot be added a option to manage that?

The question is whether it *should* be added, i.e. whether it would be correct to do so, not whether it *could* be added.  Please read my reply in detail.

The body of an HTTP request or response is *not* necessarily text, so always treating it as text is an error, and if it *is* text, either the content type specifies the character encoding, or the encoding is the default ASCII encoding, so if we *do* treat it as text, we should use the content type, *not* a user preference, to control the encoding.

So either it should be an FT_BYTES field, which has no character encoding and thus would neither be ASCII nor UTF-8, or the dissector should determine whether the content type corresponds to text or not and:

	if it's not text, it should add it as an FT_BYTES version of http.file_data;

	if it is text, it should be extracted using whatever the character encoding specified by the content type is, and added as an FT_STRING version of http.file_data (if it's a character encoding Wireshark currently doesn't support, fall back on FT_BYTES).

As for the request URI, are there non-ASCII characters because of percent-escaping, or because the URI uses RFC 2047-style indicators, or because the sending machine just added octets with the 8th bit set in *some* encoding, not necessarily UTF-8?  Those three possibilities would have to be handled in different ways.