Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] export_pdu

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2018 17:58:12 +0100
Hi Dario,

Le 17 mars 2018 17:42, "Dario Lombardo" <dario.lombardo.ml@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
To reduce the duplicated code between libwireshark and udpdump I tried to move the export_pdu code from epan to a shared library (as done for writecap and randpkt_core) in this change:

Some issues on windows arose a problem about symbols exported. The discussion with Pascal showed apparently just one solution: the library has to be a dynamic library and not a static one. Before pushing a new changeset I would like to get some other opinion, because this move could not be worth, and keeping the code as is could be more desirable. For instance the plugins that use export_pdu and link libwireshark would be required to link this new library or they would stop working.
Thanks for your help.
Dario.

Personally I vote for keeping the code as it is today. The export PDU code is so small and so easy to write that I do not think it deserves being a library by its own, and there are not many lines of code corresponding to this in udpdump.c (less than 100 lines of code that could have been written in a much more compact way if required). So it's a -1 on my side.

Best regards,
Pascal.