Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] 2.6 branch planning and post-branch changes

From: Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 11:43:01 +0100
On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 01:41:19PM -0700, Gerald Combs wrote:
> I plan on releasing 2.5.1 tomorrow and I've tentatively scheduled creating the 2.6 branch on April 2, followed by 2.6.0 on April 18.
>
> As discussed previously we'll drop support for Qt 4 and GTK+ in the master branch after master-2.6 is created. Unless there are strong objections I'd like to bump the minimum GLib version to 2.32.

(I'll reply to GLib in the thread regarding RHEL 6)

> I'd also like your opinion on doing the following:
>
> Deprecating or removing Autotools. We'd need generate source tarballs using another method, e.g. tools/git-export-release.sh.

Unless there are any platforms that do not work with CMake and cannot be
patched for it,
Remove +1

> Renaming protocols to match current reality, e.g. "bootp" to "dhcp" and "ssl" to "tls".

What do you exactly plan to rename, just the protocol name and field
names, or also the files and functions?

What about backwards compatibility? Will "ssl." be aliased to "tls." for
field names and protocol preferences?

There is also a "ssl_keys" UAT, do you plan to rename that as well? (If
so, then we could drop three useless fields).

Renaming will prevent older versions from applying settings/fields from
newer preference files, is that acceptable?
--
Kind regards,
Peter Wu