Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] 2.6 branch planning and post-branch changes

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 15:03:04 -0700
On Mar 14, 2018, at 1:41 PM, Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I plan on releasing 2.5.1 tomorrow and I've tentatively scheduled creating the 2.6 branch on April 2, followed by 2.6.0 on April 18.
>
> As discussed previously we'll drop support for Qt 4 and GTK+ in the master branch after master-2.6 is created. Unless there are strong objections I'd like to bump the minimum GLib version to 2.32.

Is there any reason to drop support for older versions of Qt 5 - which would mean dropping support for, at minimum, Mac OS X Snow Leopard?

> I'd also like your opinion on doing the following:
>
> Deprecating or removing Autotools. We'd need generate source tarballs using another method, e.g. tools/git-export-release.sh.

+0 (i.e., I wouldn't complain if we did, and I wouldn't complain if we didn't).

> Shipping the Windows installers with Npcap.

(Presumably that's assuming we get whatever licensing deal is required.)

If the Npcap driver isn't too crashy, I'd vote +1 on that, given how far back WinPcap's version of libpcap goes.

> Renaming protocols to match current reality, e.g. "bootp" to "dhcp" and "ssl" to "tls".

The latter makes sense; the former is a little weird, given that, technically, DHCP is a protocol that's implemented with BOOTP options, but if there's not much BOOTP-without-DHCP traffic now, it probably won't bother people that they need to type "dhcp" to refer to BOOTP.