Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Submit code .... from Windows OS

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 18:39:08 +0000

On 5 March 2018 at 18:06, <david_aggeler@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

How difficult can life be? Or my super bumpy road to a check-in, which caused a lot of frustration on the way. This is intended for possible improvements of the developer guides. Sometimes it helps to get feedback from someone with little perception and little previous knowledge on the topics. In that sense, less distributed documentation would have help me a little.

Yes I jumped between three environments, Cygwin, regular windows console, powershell, and git extension GUIs. Only that way I made micro steps in understanding of how things are glued together.

After the fact

  • Mention early on also in the win32 guide, that if one plans to submit one shall start differently.
  • If ‘SubmittingPatches’ would cover win32/gitextension that probably would have been the most effective way.
    This needs to be read early on as well

Regards

David

===

I’ve read many items, and after the fact probably in the wrong order.

https://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSetupWin32.html

https://www.wireshark.org/develop.html

https://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSrcContribute.html#ChSrcSend

https://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSrcObtain.html#ChSrcGit

https://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/SubmittingPatches

http://git-extensions-documentation.readthedocs.io/en/latest/remote_feature.html

https://makandracards.com/makandra/1303-how-to-use-git-on-windows-with-putty

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34261492/how-to-push-for-gerrit-review-via-git-extension

My path:

  • Git a git clone, modified code and tested it. So far so good.

  • I now have two IDs registered with wireshark’s gerrit.
  • Uploaded two different SSH keys to code.wireshark.org, because the Cygwin ssh is not used by Git Extensions
  • Cygwin: managed to do a git clone
  • CMD Console: Failed to ‘git clone’ from an ssh repository. Finally figured, that I need GIT_SSH as environment variable
  • CMD Console: First start of ‘git clone’ one cannot confirm ‘y’ to actually cache the key (plink text is redirected to git
  • Cached remote key using putty.exe (of course is not installed with Git Extensions)
  • CMD Console: Managed to perform a new git clone ssh://[email protected].org:29418/wireshark
  • Git Extensions: Modified Remote Repository to use ssh://[email protected].org:29418/wireshark
  • Git Extensions: Got a code review error on my Publish Gerrit change due to a mismatch in email address
  • Tried to register new email, got ‘Code -Review error Invalid Token’ on eMail confirmation link, work around that one. Tried about all browsers.
  • CMD Console: Did a branch & copied modified code into it.
  • Git Extensions: got a ‘missing change-Id in commit message footer‘. Commit to refs/publish/master/test. Looks wrong.
  • Cygwin: stuck at ‘git review’ with SCP and permission denied (publickey). Grr. As this is yet another layer using python, it does not find/use plink.exe/pscp. Ok. Back to CMD/GUI
  • Git Extensions: Try a regular push to /refs/for/master : ‘fatal: remote part of refspec is not a valid name in refs/heads/bug-14415:refs/heads//refs/for/master’
  • Git Extensions:  Push for Gerrit ‘Do you want to add a tracking reference’  yes -> still does not work
  • Git Extensions:  Install hook -> still does not work, awkward message about amend. Ok lets read more.
  • Git Extensions: commit again with little ‘Amend’ option
  • Finally. Done.
  • Well I thought I was done. I already get the first comments …

I'm sorry you've had such a battle getting your change submitted, but at least you've built up your experience quota :-)

I agree that the docs could do with some TLC, but I've tried hard not to be too prescriptive as folks do like to work different ways.

A couple of observations from your list:
  • Don't use Cygwin git. This should be removed from the WSDG.  In fact I much prefer folks NOT to have Cygwin on the path AT ALL, it just causes issues.  CMake will hunt down the Cygwin items it needs if they're in all the standard places, else you can explicitly supply the Cygwin path.
  • Use CMD or PowerShell as your shell.  Other shells at your own risk.
  • You've missed a key wiki page for Windows folks, https://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/SubmittingPatches/GitForWindows, this leads on to my two next points.
  • Regular Windows Git includes all you need for ssh access as well, I'm not sure where PuTTY comes in.  I may be spoilt here because I've used PowerShell and PoshGit (https://github.com/dahlbyk/posh-git) for a long time and it all just works.
  • As you need Python installed to build, install git-review.  This makes life so much easier when working with Gerrit.

--
Graham Bloice