Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Regenerate asn dissector

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 15:32:18 +0100

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 3:13 PM, Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As indicated by Alexis, Anders and Graham, CMake should already have created a target.
Fox example on my Linux machine, in the build tree, I can go to epan\dissectors\asn1\h248 folder and I have a Makefile that, when executed, will run the asn2wrs command and update the file in the source tree.

I'm not sure I got it. Are you talking about autotools or cmake? If you say Makefile I guess you're referring to the former, while I was to the latter.
In cmake, if I change the -template file and re-run the compilation, nothing gets rebuilt. I have to manually run asn2wrs (as per Darien's suggestion) and then I get the c file regenerated. I'm working on Linux, in case it matters.

CMake to generate Makefiles on Linux and .vcxproj on Windows. Once you have run it once, there is no need to rerun CMake when you modify an ASN.1 dissector. Simply regenerate the dissector file by executing your build system command (Linux: make, ninja, ...; Windows: msbuild) in the ASN.1 folder of the dissector you modified in your build tree.

Pascal.