Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] report from the bleeding edge (VS 2017)

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 09:41:42 -0800
On 2/9/18 8:51 AM, Ed Beroset wrote:

> Specifying platform
> ===================
> I used this command for CMake:
>
> cmake -DENABLE_CHM_GUIDES=on -G "Visual Studio 15 2017 Win64" ..
>
> I found that I had to explicitly specify the platform when using msbuild.
> For example, to build a Release version on my machine:
>
> msbuild /m /p:Configuration=Release /p:Platform=x64 Wireshark.sln
>
> I don't yet know enough about msbuild or sln files to troubleshoot much
> further, but that worked for me.

I had a similar problem building 32-bit code on a 64-bit Windows VM here. The setup script that the "x64_x86 Cross Tools Command Prompt for VS 2017" link calls sets Platform=x86. However, `CMake -G "Visual Studio 15 2017"` creates project files that match the "Win32" platform. "Platform" and "Configuration" are environment properties[1], so it was easy enough to fix by setting Platform=Win32. You should be able to do the same thing in your environment.

[1]https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms171458.aspx