Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How does tshark "synchronize" multiple interfaces?

From: Francesco Fondelli <francesco.fondelli@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 09:50:59 +0100
Hi, try with/without the '-t' option (Use a separate thread per interface). If I recall correctly - in my case - the dumpcap behavior with -t looked similar to the one of your sniffer.

If that is the point, you can play with PACKET_FANOUT/PACKET_FANOUT_HASH in your sniffer.

hope this helps
ciao
fra

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 8:54 PM, S. Jacobi <sjacobi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 10:31:38 -0800
Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2018, at 9:20 AM, Richard Sharpe
> <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 9:07 AM, S. Jacobi
> > <sjacobi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> We are on Linux, yes, but we don't capture from any. tshark allows
> >> to specify multiple interfaces.
> >
> > I have not looked at the code, but I suspect that it is something
> > like this:
> >
> > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37294540/binding-the-af-packet-socket-to-all-interfaces
> >
> > That is, the kernel is doing it.
>
> That's how the "any" device is implemented by libpcap, so that's what
> happens if you capture on the "any" device.
>
> However, if, in Wireshark or TShark or dumpcap, you capture from an
> explicitly specified list of interfaces containing more than one
> interface, there are multiple pcap_t's open, and packets are
> separately received from all of those pcap_t's and those are written
> to a single capture file.
>
> So if they aren't in timestamp order when you explicitly capture on
> more than one interface, that's dumpcap's fault (which means it's the
> fault of "Wireshark", in the sense of the entire Wireshark release,
> as dumpcap is the program that does the packet capturing for
> Wireshark and TShark), not the fault of the OS kernel.

The packets out-of-timestamp-order are quite rare and always between
two interfaces. It could be that dumpcap tries to put them in the
correct order but fails to do so when one interface lags behind. Thanks
for your answers anyway.