Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] 2.5.0, 2.6, and 3.0 release planning

From: Alexis La Goutte <alexis.lagoutte@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2018 21:13:59 +0100

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 11:45 PM, Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think we've fixed the major issues identified by Stig, Jim, and others so I'd like to release 2.5.0 on February 6. This would let us release 2.6.0 this spring, followed by 3.0.0 in the fall:

March: Create master-2.6 after one or two 2.5.x releases.

April: Release 2.6.0, probably after SharkFest Asia.

August: Release 2.9.0.

September 7, 2018: The 2.2 branch reaches EOL.

September or October: Create master-3.0 after one or more 2.9.x releases.

October or November: Release 3.0.0, either before or after SharkFest Europe.
Two major release this year ?
2.6 will be a TLS release ?

For avoid a lot of cherry-pick it is better for create master(-2.6 or -3.0) only 2 or 3 week before 2.6 release ?

As discussed on this list and (IIRC) at SharkFest EU we can start removing legacy support in master after master-2.6 is branched. This includes, but is not limited to:

- The GTK+ UI
- Older versions of GLib
- Qt 4.8