Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Where to put my wiretap plugin?

From: João Valverde <joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 03:46:56 +0000

On 18-01-2018 16:46, Jaap Keuter wrote:
Hi,

As a follow up I’ve been trying to get the wiretap plugin going. It’s sources are setup in the proper location and when build it’s reported in the About Wireshark dialog and tshark -G plugins output as a ‘file type’ plugin. So far so good.
However there’s a difference between the autotools vs. cmake build. Even though that both builds show the plugin loaded in the About Wireshark dialog the build with autotools refuses to recognise the file type, while the cmake build does accept it. Some instrumentation shows that in the autotools build the wtap_register_<file type> is never called, while in the cmake build it is. How can it show up in the plugin list, while not being registered? What influence does the build environment have here?

If the plugin is loaded I don't see how the build system could have any influence either.

Thanks,
Jaap