Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Compiling with or without extcap

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 14:47:25 +0000

From: Wireshark-dev [mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dario Lombardo
Sent: den 4 januari 2018 15:22
To: Developer support list for Wireshark <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Compiling with or without extcap

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 3:10 PM, Anders Broman <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don’t have a problem with making extcap a mandatory feature of Wireshark. But since extcap prolongs the startup time and clutters the interface list.

I would like a feature to turn some or all extcap interfaces off. I think it’s good to have them default available to make it obvious they exist but none of the default ones are particularly useful to me.

>This is related to user experience, not compilation.

Sure but the only(easiest) way to “get rid of them” currently is to not compile them 😊

>Did you try to disable some interfaces group, main window, next to the filter? There is wired, wireless, USB and >external interfaces. Disable the last one and you get >rid of all extcaps (display only).

I’m mostly annoyed by the startup delay.

Regards

Anders