Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Qt 4 and template support

From: Michael Mann <mmann78@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2017 08:36:50 -0500
I've been working on converting a lot of the Qt GUI that uses QTreeWidgetItem into using a model/view architecture that better separates data from GUI.  Some of the dialogs I've converted have a simple tree/leaf architecture that lends itself to creating a simple "data" class that holds the parent/child relationship of a tree as well representation of that tree through a QAbstractItemModel derived class.  After converting a few of a the dialogs I noticed a "pattern" and thought template classes could be created to save some typing and enforce type safety (see https://code.wireshark.org/review/24988).

What I didn't realize was that this isn't supported for Qt 4.8. I thought "templates are templates" and since Qt already uses them for lists and vectors this shouldn't be a problem.  However, Roland pointed out that the template support I want doesn't work with Qt 4.8 (http://doc.qt.io/archives/qt-4.8/templates.html). I know there has been talk of dropping support for Qt 4, but I'm not sure where that's at.  I thought there was enough stuff already in place that would mean Qt 4 support would be dropped for 2.6 release, but I thought I'd send a note here before committing https://code.wireshark.org/review/24988

Michael