Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Maintaining an custom Wireshark plugin

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 17:54:53 +0000
On 13 December 2017 at 17:48, Paul Offord <Paul.Offord@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi All,

I have a plugin called Syncro that was rejected for inclusion in Wireshark.  It’s all water under the bridge, and after six months of therapy I’m over the rejection 😊

I want to commit it to a code repository.  I have two choices; AWS CodeCommit where I have some other stuff or GitHub.  I’ll probably go for GitHub if it’s accepted as an Open Source project.  They are both git repos, but I’m not sure how to arrange my code tree.  I build Wireshark with VS2015 on Windows 10.  I’ll want to include Syncro in my code tree and then commit it to my central repo.

Can I have overlapping code sources like this?  How do I set things up?

Thanks and regards…Paul

Hi Paul,

Personally I would fork the Wireshark mirror on GitHub (https://github.com/wireshark/wireshark), create a "Syncro" branch in your fork and commit your code there.

This allows easy tracking of upstream changes and merging of them into your branch (manually), and with a little bit of extra work and an appveyor.yml you can have automated builds of your branch as well.

--
Graham Bloice