Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] size_t under Windows ...

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 12:47:52 +0000

On 24 November 2017 at 12:23, Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Not necessarily, in certain variations building WinXP and Win7 can lead to size_t being 4 byte, but the pointer PVOID either 8 byte or 4 byte depending on the target compile environment.

This is incorrect, as noted earlier in the thread by Helge, size_t varies by the cpu target, x86 or x64, not by the OS target.

On x64 size_t is an unsigned __int64 which is self-evidently 64 bits, on x86 it's an unsigned int which is 32 bits.

On Windows this causes issues when assigning a size_t value into an int, which on x64 is a narrowing and will require a cast (if you're absolutely positive the value won't be bigger than an int).

If you use size_t everywhere it should all just work.

I would stick with a definition of size_t, because others will have to handle the right size, not us.

cheers