Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] rpcap support seems to have disappeared ...

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 10:25:33 -0800
On Nov 11, 2017, at 9:55 AM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hmmm, the problem really seems to be that my dev environment fails to
> find pcap_open so it cannot support rpcap.
>
> That is, both HAVE_PCAP_OPEN and HAVE_PCAP_REMOTE are not defined, but
> HAVE_PCAP_REMOTE is not defined because HAVE_PCAP_OPEN is not defined.
>
> Now to see if a more recent version of libpcap that 1.5.3 has what I need.

I infer from "libpcap" that this isn't WinPcap and thus this isn't Windows.

Until recently, rpcap support was not a standard part of libpcap.

The tip of the libpcap master branch (1.9.0-PRE-GIT) does include libpcap support, but it's not configured in by default on UN*X, as I haven't audited the code to make sure it has no buffer overflow risks or other security issues.  If you configure it with autotools, you have to configure with --enable-remote; if you configure it with CMake, you have to configure it with -DENABLE_REMOTE=YES.  (Yes, CMake; I added CMake support to have something that handles building both on UN*X and on Windows.  I also plan to add CMake support to tcpdump at some point.)