Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] NEWS flle

From: Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 18:15:58 +0000
Hi Martin,

On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 06:25:25PM +0100, Martin Kaiser wrote:
> CMake has a target "news" that copies the release notes into a NEWS file
> in the source directory. NEWS is under version control and hasn't been
> updated in the repository for a while.

It is updated as part of the release process, see for example:

    git show v2.4.2:NEWS

> Should we remove NEWS from the repository? Should we modify the CMake
> target to leave the source directory alone (which would mean deleting
> the target itself, all it does it copy the release notes to NEWS)?

It is probably fine to remove it from master, similar to the ChangeLog
file. Maybe the ChangeLog file could be removed completely since the
user should be able to get much more detail from git.
--
Kind regards,
Peter Wu