Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] rpcap support seems to have disappeared ...

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 09:55:43 -0800
On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 8:19 AM, Pascal Quantin
<pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le 11 nov. 2017 17:15, "Richard Sharpe" <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx> a
> écrit :
>
> On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 7:50 AM, Pascal Quantin
> <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Richard,

>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I am hearing from one user that they could no longer use rpcap from
>>> 2.0.2 of Wireshark, and I see that while I can enable it in configure
>>> (--with-remote-pcap) it does not seem to show up in the
>>> Capture->Interface or Capture->Options.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to get it to work or if it works?
>>

>> I have not used it myself lately, but the configuration dialog is still
>> present. Go to Capture -> Options -> Manage Interfaces -> Remote
>> Interfaces
>> tab.
>
> Hmmm, you are correct for 2.4.2, however, for the latest Master that
> does not seem to work, at least on the GTK version ...
>
> Still investigating.
>

> Nobody is working on GTK version, that is deprecated. Expect it to work less
> and less over time.
> The menu is present in Qt version for master branch also but as I said I
> have not used it since more than a year. Nobody reported that it is broken
> yet, but it could be because it is not used that much.

Hmmm, the problem really seems to be that my dev environment fails to
find pcap_open so it cannot support rpcap.

That is, both HAVE_PCAP_OPEN and HAVE_PCAP_REMOTE are not defined, but
HAVE_PCAP_REMOTE is not defined because HAVE_PCAP_OPEN is not defined.

Now to see if a more recent version of libpcap that 1.5.3 has what I need.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe