Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Filter expression aliases and parameterization ...

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 00:27:39 -0800
Hi folks,

At SharkFest Europe someone asked me about the possibility of the
filter expressions in the SMB2 dissector being prefixed with smb2 or
smb3.

That is: smb2.flags.replay or smb3.flags.replay.

In addition, when I use dissector functions (through a dissector
table) from another protocol, I would like to be able to replace some
prefix of it's filter expressions.

For example, in packet-ieee1905.c I call dissect_wps_tlvs but I would
like to change the strings "wps.*" with "ieee1905.*".

I am thinking of adding an ability to specify a replacement string in
the handling of filter expressions.

Can anyone think of another way of doing this?

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe