Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Capture filename not available at plugin init time

From: Paul Offord <Paul.Offord@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 16:49:00 +0000

Probably a whole brewery!

From: Wireshark-dev [mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Graham Bloice
Sent: 03 November 2017 16:48
To: Developer support list for Wireshark <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Capture filename not available at plugin init time

On 3 November 2017 at 16:40, Paul Offord <Paul.Offord@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So the plan would be:

  • Add support to read the TSDB and create the resulting structures
  • Add support to read Text Record Blocks (TRBs)
    • This is mostly stuff that Guy Harris described a while back
    • In my current code the data records are encapsulated in a dummy Ethernet frame
  • Add support to mergecap to correctly handle the TSDBs
    • Similar to adjusting IDBs when files are merged
  • Add the dumpcap code to read text files and produce pcap-ng

I think I’ll leave this idea to circulate for a few days before I start writing code.  Maybe I’ll pester the developers next week at SF EU.

That sounds like it will need a lot of beer tokens ;-/

I will also see if there is an easy way to get plugin_if_get_ws_info to work in the init routine as I still believe this will be useful to dissector developers.

Thanks and regards…Paul