Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Building Wireshark on SuSE 11.4 fails, configure does not fi

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 11:06:17 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Wireshark-dev [mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Anders Broman
Sent: den 12 oktober 2017 12:26
To: Developer support list for Wireshark <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Building Wireshark on SuSE 11.4 fails, configure does not find pcap functions.

-----Original Message-----
From: Wireshark-dev [mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Guy Harris
Sent: den 12 oktober 2017 10:39
To: Developer support list for Wireshark <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Oct 12, 2017, at 12:09 AM, Anders Broman <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
Comparing with configure.log  of Ubuntu 14.04 building the same version -lpcap is set.

configure:50315: checking whether pcap_findalldevs is present and usable
configure:50336: gcc -std=gnu99 -o conftest  -Wall -Wextra -Wendif-labels -Wpointer-arith -Wformat-security -fwrapv -fno-strict-overflow -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -Wvla -Waddress -Wattributes -Wdiv-by-zero -Wignored-qualifiers -Wpragmas -Wno-overlength-strings -Wno-long-long -Wc++-compat -Wshadow -Wno-pointer-sign -Wold-style-definition -Wstrict-prototypes -Wlogical-op -Wjump-misses-init -Werror=implicit -fexcess-precision=fast -fvisibility=hidden -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2  -Wl,--as-needed  conftest.c -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu  -lpcap -lm  >&5
conftest.c:52:11: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype [-Wstrict-prototypes]
       int main()
	undefined reference to `pcap_findalldevs'

I'm not sure why.  On the failing system there is an old version of autoconf and friends:
ericsson@BuildWireShark3:~/ewireshark/trunk> autoconf --version autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.64 Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

>If something's stored in the garage, you won't find it if you don't look in the garage....
>
>In fact, the only place where it *does* appear to link with libpcap is the test for pcap_open_live().
>
>A quick test of the configure script from a reasonably recent pull of the master branch shows it linking with -lpcap in all the tests for various pcap functions, so I'm not sure >why it wouldn't be doing so with your configure script.
>
>Is this a built from a git checkout or from a release tarball?  If it's from a git checkout, what happens if you do a "make maintainer-clean", a "./autogen.sh", and then a >"./configure"?

It's from an svn clone of the old svn repo kept up to date with the latest git version. I did check a fresh svn checkout. I could try to build the standard Wireshark From trunk.

Building from a fresh git checkout gives the same error ☹

configure:49066: checking for pcap_open_live in -lpcap
configure:49091: gcc -std=gnu99 -o conftest -I/usr/include/pcap -Wall -Wextra -Wendif-labels -Wpointer-arith -Wformat-security -fwrapv -fno-strict-overflow -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -Wvla -Waddress -Wattributes -Wdiv-by-zero -Wignored-qualifiers -Wpragmas -Wno-overlength-strings -Wno-long-long -Wc++-compat -Wshadow -Wno-pointer-sign -Wold-style-definition -Wstrict-prototypes -Werror=implicit -fvisibility=hidden -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2  -Wl,--as-needed  conftest.c -lpcap   -lm  >&5
conftest.c:47: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
conftest.c:50: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
conftest.c: In function 'main':
conftest.c:50: warning: old-style function definition
configure:49091: $? = 0
configure:49100: result: yes
configure:49170: checking for pcap_open_dead
configure:49170: gcc -std=gnu99 -o conftest -I/usr/include/pcap -Wall -Wextra -Wendif-labels -Wpointer-arith -Wformat-security -fwrapv -fno-strict-overflow -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -Wvla -Waddress -Wattributes -Wdiv-by-zero -Wignored-qualifiers -Wpragmas -Wno-overlength-strings -Wno-long-long -Wc++-compat -Wshadow -Wno-pointer-sign -Wold-style-definition -Wstrict-prototypes -Werror=implicit -fvisibility=hidden -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2  -Wl,--as-needed  conftest.c  -lm  >&5
conftest.c:63: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
conftest.c:73: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
conftest.c: In function 'main':
conftest.c:73: warning: old-style function definition
/tmp/ccqmF4PP.o: In function `main':
/home/ericsson/wireshark/conftest.c:74: undefined reference to `pcap_open_dead'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Regards
Anders