Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Visual Studio install

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 14:45:00 +0100

On 11 October 2017 at 14:31, Mike Hammond <MCTMike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi - I'm working through installing the Wireshark development platform on my laptop for the first time.  Things seem to have gone smoothly until the installation of Visual Studio 2015 Community edition.  It seems to have installed without errors (I'm using the chocolatey install technique via PowerShell).  But when I look for the Native Tools Command Prompt named in section 2.2.9, I don't see it.  The shortcuts I see in the Start Menu (I'm on Windows 10) seem to be launching 32-bit environments.  In fact, the whole of VS2015 seems to be installed in the Program Files(x86) directory.  Did I make a mistake in the installation?  I'd assume I'd be getting a 64-bit VS2015.

VS does get installed in the (x86) directory.

In the Start Menu, you should see a Visual Studio 2015 entry with a "folder" icon, expand that and you should see a "VS2015 x64 Native Tools Command Prompt" entry with a "Cmd Prompt" icon.  That's the item you need.

--
Graham Bloice