Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] XXXX: avoid appending xxxx multiple times to frame.protocols

From: Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2017 09:53:54 +0200
There is code, that depends on the sequence. It is important to know sometimes, if it is the first or the last entry.

I could do with a shortcut, but then we have to store the sequence internally ( which is not a big issue ), but would prefer to have a signal in the list. e.g. eth:epl:*opensafety fo determine, that that protocol is repeated multiple times.

I do not like the solution in general, much rather would hae to have individual packets, but this is for further changes down the line.

cheers
Roland

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Oct 6, 2017, at 12:17 AM, Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yeap, that is exactly the case with for instance openSAFETY. Usually a list would be eth:epl:opensafety|opensafety|opensafety (using | to better define the parrallel behavior).

And there's code that depends on that entry being

        eth:epl:opensafety:opensafety:opensafety

rather than just being

        eth:epl:opensafety

even with three sequential openSAFETY packets atop Ethernet POWERLINK?