Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Can't compile wireshark with gcc 6.3 and musl (Alpine Linux)

From: Jakub Zawadzki <darkjames-ws@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 19:12:05 +0200
Hello Adam,

W dniu 2017-09-25 07:05, Adam Baxter napisał(a):
It's failing on extcap.

make[2]: Entering directory '/wireshark/extcap'
(...)
  CC       udpdump.o
udpdump.c: In function 'setup_listener':
udpdump.c:126:9: error: variable 'timeout' has initializer but incomplete
type
  struct timeval timeout = { 1, 0 };

Thanks for reporting, missing timeval definition is now fixed by https://code.wireshark.org/review/23728/

The Dockerfile I'm using for this build is as follows:

FROM alpine:latest
MAINTAINER Adam Baxter <voltagex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
RUN apk --update add git
RUN git clone --depth=1 https://github.com/wireshark/wireshark
RUN apk add gcc libc-dev make libtool autoconf automake python pkgconfig bison flex
RUN apk add libgcrypt-dev glib-dev libpcap-dev c-ares-dev
RUN cd wireshark && ./autogen.sh
RUN cd wireshark && ./configure --disable-wireshark --without-plugins--enable-static
RUN cd wireshark && make -j8

I can compile wireshark if I clone from official repository:

RUN git clone --depth=1 https://code.wireshark.org/review/wireshark

and if I compile shared version:

RUN cd wireshark && CFLAGS="-O0 -pipe" ./configure --disable-wireshark --without-plugins

I'd still like to know how to disable / fix the warnings-as-errors.

Missing definition is an error, not warning.
In future you can disable warnings-as-errors with: ./configure --disable-warnings-as-errors

Kind regards,
Jakub.