Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] [RFC] Vendor-specific dissector extension for EtherNet/IP

From: Samuel Groot <groot.samuel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 15:38:17 +0200
Hi,

I am considering writing a chained dissector in lua to support some vendor-specific classes, services and attributes for EtherNet/IP.

After digging around on google or ask.wireshark.org, I couldn't find anything that would fit my needs (except this[1], but it's more than 10 years old), so I'm coming to you to have maybe some advice.

Vendor-specifics in EtherNet/IP are particular in the sense that we need to rewrite certain things in the tree and only re-parse certain things.

Is it the correct way to do it, or do I have to patch epan/dissectors/packet-cip.c and rebuild wireshark entirely?

Regards,
Sam Groot

[1] https://www.wireshark.org/lists/ethereal-dev/200601/msg00174.html