Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Hierarchy of fields & offsets again, more potential offender

From: "Sultan, Hassan" <sultah@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 18:00:13 +0000

Me and Pascal have been having a discussion on https://code.wireshark.org/review/#/c/22937 on how to represent sets of fields that are related but non-contiguous.

As part of a discussion, one idea I had (and which Pascal feels won't be adopted by dissector developers) was to use ft_value to add 'linkage' between fields.
Basically add to the union inside ft_value a proto_item entry, and we could add various types specifying the type of link between fields :
- one field is an alternate view of another
- one field is semantically linked to another (to handle the non-contiguous fields that the UI may want to display together)
etc...

To me this is something that can be added in steps to the current dissectors. Wireshark would still represent fields as it does today, and add the new way when it detects fields with the new ft_value entries. And over time as we find fields that need to be modified we transition them, up until they're all transitioned. Users should hopefully see no difference when using the UI, and we get better semantic description of the protocol for automation.

Thoughts on that approach ?

Hassan