Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Hierarchy of fields & offsets again, more potential offender

From: Alexis La Goutte <alexis.lagoutte@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2017 23:08:55 +0200

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 12:29 AM, Sultan, Hassan via Wireshark-dev <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Hasan,

Can you share your tools ? i can be add to wireshark for found some violation/error...

Coming back on this and how to solve it, here's a suggestion I have, let me know what you guys think :

- Whenever a field is really a helper rather than the actual parsed data (an alternate representation of data in the packet for example, here tcp.payload would be the alternate representation of the data parsed in the following layers) mark the field as FI_GENERATED, or create a new flag for helper fields and mark them as such
It is a idea but GENERATED it is not the good field..
it is not possible to ignore some hf on your tools ?

In the case here, tcp.payload would stay under tcp, but flagged as FI_GENERATED or FI_HELPER (or whatever we'd call the flag). The NTLMSSP cases further in the list I gave has a similar case, where an FT_STRING field is present as a helper so the person looking at the parsed packet immediately sees what the offset/length of the string correspond to, but the string it represents is data located in a very different position in the packet and which already has another field representing it.

NTMLSSP (and other dissector like GQUIC) use a map-value entry for field
and yes, it is a complicated for display this case on Wireshark...  and i don't have solution...

Adding a flag has the advantage that automation can easily identify these fields and act accordingly (for example to ignore them).

Thoughts ?