Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] win64: got 'winver.h' file not found compile error

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2017 11:34:43 -0700
On Jul 22, 2017, at 7:30 AM, 蹉跎 <qiangxiong.huang@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Is DISABLE_WERROR must set to ON manually in windows? (If it is OFF, '/WX' options will be added into rc.exe command, that will ignore INCLUDE environment, and finally cause 'winver.h' not found error).

If /WX causes MSVC to ignore the INCLUDE environment, have you reported that bug to Microsoft?  For:

    Visual Studio .NET 2003:

	https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/thxezb7y(v=vs.71).aspx

    Visual Studio 2005:

	https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/thxezb7y(v=vs.80).aspx

    Visual Studio 2008:

	https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/thxezb7y(v=vs.90).aspx

    Visual Studio 2010:

	https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/thxezb7y(v=vs.100).aspx

    Visual Studio 2012:

	https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/thxezb7y(v=vs.110).aspx

    Visual Studio 2013:

	https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/thxezb7y(v=vs.120).aspx

    Visual Studio 2015:

	https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/thxezb7y.aspx

    Visual Studio 2017:

	https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/build/reference/compiler-option-warning-level

Microsoft documents /WX as:

	Treats all warnings as errors. For a new project, it may be best to use /WX in all compilations; resolving all warnings will ensure the fewest possible hard-to-find code defects.

and says nothing about includes.  There is a /X option, which "Prevents the compiler from searching for include files in directories specified in the PATH and INCLUDE environment variables.", but "/WX" should not be interpreted as "/W /X".