Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Qt translations when refactoring

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 18:09:55 -0700
On Jul 15, 2017, at 2:09 PM, Michael Mann via Wireshark-dev <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm working on refactoring the Decode As dialog into using model/view functionality (https://code.wireshark.org/review/22625).  The model appears to be "forced" to provide the names of the column headers that are part of the "table" in the Decode As dialog.  Currently the names of the column headers are stored in the .ui file, but with the model the data of the .ui file isn't used.  Is there any reason to keep the column info in the .ui file?

None that I can think of.

> Does it help provide context to translators?

Not if it's not used.

> If it's removed, do the translators have to do some rework even those the column names haven't changed?

Possibly.  I don't know how Transifex works, but I presume people log in and do some sort of operations on some sorts of files, the results of which are the .ts files.  The column header strings will appear in a .cpp file, and those column header strings will, presumably, be localizable through Transifex.  If they're left behind in the .ui file, those might appear as *separate* items also needing localization, so I suspect that

	1) they'll have to do additional work if you add tr() calls regardless of *what* you do with the .ui file;

	2) removing the column headers from the .ui file will reduce the amount of work needed to be done (as you won't have to localize both the column headers actually being used and the unused ones in the .ui file).