Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] hf_http_response_code in packet-http.c

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 20:25:39 +0200

Le 13 juil. 2017 19:54, "Sultan, Hassan" <sultah@xxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> [...]

My reason is that anyone wanting to build automation based on Wireshark's parsing will not be able to rely on Wireshark's reporting of field type & format to interpret the packet data.
The automation would walk through parsed fields and be told that the http response code is a 3-bytes UINT16 with value say 200, so bytes 00 00 c8, which is wrong. Right now the way these fields are setup works for human interpretation, by people looking at the rendered value on a screen, but it is far from ideal for automation.

Thanks fact that HTTP is text based does not change the fact that the code is supposed to be a number. So I'm not sure to get your point.
Moreover tons of people use tshark for automation and I do not remember someone complaining about the current output. So maybe I simply did not understand your use case.

One could argue it's the main purpose of Wireshark, but I think it needlessly prevent a whole class of use-cases from being achieved with Wireshark's technology.

Could you elaborate? What use case do you have in mind exactly?

Thanks,

Hassan