Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Using Google Protobuf to Export Full Packet Dissection Data

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 12:04:28 -0700
On Jul 11, 2017, at 8:17 AM, Anders Broman <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> and requires pthread and protobuf libs be installed.
>
> Is this portable to MAC and Windows?

Pthreads are part of any reasonably modern UN*X, so they're available in macOS and *BSD and Solaris and HP-UX and AIX, as well as at least some dead UN*Xes.  On a particular platform, they might or might not require linking with a separate pthreads library.

Windows, on the other hand, has its own threading API; we'd have to use some pthreads-for-Windows implementation.

If the protocol buffers library runs on macOS and Linux, as Mark says, it's *probably* reasonably UN*X-portability-clean and would run on other UN*Xes as well, unless there are issues with different C++ implementations on different platforms.  He also says it runs on Windows.